Friday, August 21, 2009

Abilene Book Signing Goes to the Dogs

Left: Mardi and me, Wayna Polk, Tommy Wideman; Below: Janlyn Thaxton, me, Margaret Hoogstra When I moved from Abilene seven years ago, I never dreamed I'd be coming back for a book signing--my own.

But when Glenn and Carol Dromgoole, owners of Texas Star Trading Company, graciously invited me to sign at their store during Abilene's Dog Days of Summer ArtWalk, I jumped at the chance. (Below: Me with Glenn)
The best part was seeing several of my former Abilene High and Jim Ned High colleagues, former students, parents of former students, and old friends. I regret we didn't have more time to visit. And I'm also sorry I didn't get pictures of everyone, but my manservant was equally busy greeting old friends and taking care of Mardi, our little diabetic poodle.

Now that I've weathered three book signings, I should feel like a veteran. But I've discovered that signing books is more difficult than writing them--you actually have to think about what to say. On the spot!

Some people can't walk and chew gum. I discovered long ago I can't talk and think at the same time. No telling what I've written in people's books, but a few stand out in my mind.

One woman wanted me to sign only my name so she could read the book first, then give it to a friend as a gift.

At the Abilene signing, Alex, a small, brown dog, brought his human companion along. Alex checked me out by sniffing my hand, and I assume he approved because he bought a copy of Dog Nanny and wanted it personalized to him. I hope he enjoys reading about the antics of two standard poodles with Texas big hair. Not so sure what he'll think about the romance part.

So far my favorite signing was dictated to me by another former Abilenian who was purchasing a book for her elderly mother. The signature line went something like this: "Ann Whitaker, wife of Bill Whitaker, former front-page columnist of the Abilene Reporter-News." Guess that shows me how I rank.

Hope some of you will come back on September 26 when we return for the West Texas Book and Music Festival at the Abilene Civic Center.
And here's a link to the AR-N Web site if you like to look at pictures of dogs.

40 comments:

Mary Ricksen said...

Wow, that musta been wonderful for you. I wish I could arrange that too! Hope you sold a ton of books and got the accolades you deserve!

Ann Whitaker said...

Thanks, Mary. I sold 30 books, which isn't bad for two hours. I've sold 100 now, but really want to stop and get back to work on my WIP! Two more signings, but they're spaced a month apart.

Linda LaRoque said...

What a fun day, Ann. Love the pictures!

Ann Whitaker said...

Thanks, Linda. It was fun seeing old friends.

Lyndymac said...

Great pictures! And, as always, I love reading what you write (book, blog, email, etc.)!

Ann Whitaker said...

Awww, thanks, Lynn. I wish I were more prolific, but I'm stalled for now. Real life keeps getting in the way.

Becky at "Cheese My Head" said...

Hey Ms. Whitaker! Don't know if you remember me, but I was in your Lareate English class at AHS ('96, I think). I stumbled into your blog, and I'm off to order the book! Can't wait to read it!

Becky (McGlaun) Wilsford

BrucePavon said...

不願彎腰撿拾一根針的人,永遠不值得一塊錢。 ....................................................

微笑每一天 said...

A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour..............................................

佳慧 said...

yam交友080中部人聊天室免費成人電影聊天室080百分百貼圖片區a片-sexdiy影城亞洲禁果影城a片-HiLive.TV成人 影片sex日本卡通a片下載日本同志男優日本同志色教館 avdvd 日本同志色教館 g8yy日本同志卡通影片交流區日本同志漫畫日本圖片網站日本地圖日本夜店影片日本大奶主播視訊 辣妹視訊 辣妹戀愛ing聊天室免費聊天firework上班族聊天室露點girl5320av一葉情貼影色網aio 交友愛情館免費上班族聊天室免費性影片666成人光免費成人片欣賞美眉泰正點麗的情色遊戲麗的情色小遊戲亞亞成人館曼雪兒免費小說曼雪兒免費情色小說曼雪兒免費色曼雪兒免費色倩小說曼雪兒免費色小說曼雪兒免費色情小說

函佩政松 said...

聊天室交友交友ggo聊天室交友交友ggo免費視訊視訊交友視訊美女成人視訊免費視訊聊天情人視訊交友聊天室18成人辣妹視訊美女交友視訊交友聊天視訊交友網情人視訊聊天交友愛情館情色聊天成人網站視訊網愛視訊交友聊天室免費視訊聊天室免費視訊辣妹情人視訊網情色聊天室豆豆聊天室免費視訊視訊交友視訊美女成人視訊免費視訊聊天情人視訊交友聊天室18成人辣妹視訊美女交友視訊交友聊天視訊交友網情人視訊聊天交友愛情館情色聊天成人網站視訊網愛視訊交友聊天室免費視訊聊天室免費視訊辣妹情人視訊網情色聊天室豆豆聊天室聊天室交友交友ggo聊天室交友交友ggo

BlancaMcleroy20147 said...

路遙知馬力,日久見人心。......................................................

原昆 said...

Thx ur share........................................

展惟定姍 said...

快樂是你與生俱來的權力,它不應該取決於你完成什麼。 ..............................

柏強 said...

北台灣視訊 情色視訊小站 拓網aio交友愛情館 情色視訊天堂 視訊聊天交友1799 壞朋友論壇一夜情視訊 0509電話視訊聊天 視訊影音聊天fm358 sex免費成人影片 sex美女視訊 彩虹頻道免費影片卡通aa片 淫蕩女孩自拍 情色文學999成人性站 免費性感影片 成人漫畫-a片天堂 免費性影片 18成人space 豆豆出租情人視訊美女 QQ美女視訊秀 kk121視訊俱樂部 gogo辣妹視訊 2sex999情人輔助品a片線上試看 1111我姊是惡魔 真愛視訊聊天室 視訊網愛聊天室網路援交168論壇 北台灣視訊交友 米克綜合論壇 aio性感辣妹34c甜心寶貝貼片 交友網 sexy girl比基尼美女 免費聊天交友mm17i sex女優王國avdvd無碼 18x us 38girl 影音視訊聊天fm358 做愛視訊聊天室 性愛教學,色情 影片 免費視訊聊天aqaq 彩虹avdvd 色咪咪貼影片 avdvd免費影片 無碼avdvd無碼卡通情色 sex movie 亞洲東洋影片sexy girl,dvd 桃園視訊t 6成人網頁 無碼影片,情色交友 後宮0204movie免費影片 嘟嘟情人色網免費線上成人影片 av片-性愛 情色影片免費觀賞0204貼圖區

BlakeR_采男 said...

想要推動天下,先要發動自己。..................................................

Ann Whitaker said...

Yes, Becky. I certainly do remember you. Hope you enjoy the book.

AshleyRemley12俊財 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
adkinsra said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
銘木 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
reeselane said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
亦妮亦妮 said...

pleasure to find such a good artical! please keep update!!.................................................................

恩如 said...

睇完之後覺得有d頓悟..感謝分享...................................................................

吳婷婷 said...

Nothing comes from nothing.............................................................

思翰思翰 said...

海鷗要高飛,必先遠退。花蜜要香醇,必先久釀。............................................................

dawsonfelicia張君dawsonfelicia均 said...

生命如夏花洵爛;死如秋葉之靜美。............................................................

ju吳phe宇te佳ns said...

世界上沒有本來就應該的事,因為老天爺也沒有劇本.......................................................

陳璇竹陳璇竹 said...

不要去想沒拿到的東西,多想想自己手裡所擁有的.......................................................

鄭雅琦鄭雅琦 said...

天氣涼了~要注意身體喔@~@............................................................

莊雅和莊雅和莊雅和 said...

良好的開端,已是成功的一半。..................................................

楊燕沛楊燕沛 said...

生命所經歷的折磨愈多,其所產生的奮鬥力愈大。............................................................

恩李如恩李如 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。............................................................

承王蓁 said...

百發百中不是一試就成的。..................................................

蔡曼鄭美玉屏 said...

Circumstances are the rulers of the weak, instrument of the wise.............................................................

江仁趙雲虹昆 said...

好熱鬧喔 大家踴躍的留言 讓部落格更有活力..................................................

峻胡邦慧v帆 said...

好看耶~一定每天有空給你支持............................................................

王辛江淑萍康 said...

Never put off till tomorrow what may be done today.......................................................................

千TatianaCallan惠 said...

出遊不拘名勝,有景就是好的..................................................................

黃英吳思潔吳思潔邦 said...

精彩,thanks!............................................................

Yoga boy said...

Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Astanga Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Hatha Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Bikram Yoga
Nice blog. I will keep reading. Please take the time to visit my blog about Kundalini Yoga.